Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Day 6 and we are exhausted!

Ok, it's time for an update! We are now on day 6 of being in Vienna and it is just breathtakingly beautiful here. I started at my school on Monday and the kids are great. It is very hard to communicate with them because they don't begin English lessons until they are in 4th grade and I'm in a 3rd grade class right now. A couple of the girls came up to me and wanted me to play with them while we were outside in the garden. I couldn't understand them, and they couldn't understand me either. So, one of the girls from Madrid, Spain started speaking to me in Spanish. I was a little shocked at first, but I understood what she said and so that is another way I have been communicating with the students. We had the day off of school today (Wednesday) for what they call May Day. May 1st is a religious holiday here, so all of the schools were out and a lot of shops were closed today. We used this day to explore the city a little more. We went to Madame Tussaud's, a museum with wax figures of celebrities. It was very interesting. Yesterday we climbed the stairs to the top of St. Stephan's Cathedral...it was an unbelievable sight and 343 stairs! Needless to say, we are very tired after 6 days of pure exploring. I will post pictures of both events below. I miss you all and hope you are doing well! I'm keeping myself pretty busy here, but I am a little homesick and missing New Mexican food! Talk to you all very soon!







2 comments:

  1. I'm really glad that you all had an easy flight to Vienna. It sounds as if you are settling in to your new life in the big (and I mean 2 million people BIG) city. Please say hello to all the other students for me and tell them that I said, "GO FOR IT!! LIfe is short so enjoy every moment that you are in Europe!
    Dick

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay an update! i've been checking every day. i also already posted a comment but can't get it to post. hopefully this one works. wahhhh. that's awesome that you were able to use spanish. you'll get the hang of german in no time, it's very similar to english in it's basic form (until you start dealing with tenses and then it gets strange)... but like i said it will be easier for you as you hear it more, especially if the kids can emphasize and demonstrate with their hands. i looooove that you're doing this. i'm so proud of you.

    -wife

    ReplyDelete